Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Huckleberry Fries - page 2

Charlie, his Mom, Elizabeth Daniel Fries, Annette/Anne Fries, Rosemary Fries,Joseph Fries, Sr & Jr

page # 2


While I was in the sixth or seventh grades, I resolved to end my school life after the eighth year.  I decided that eight years of this routine was enough for any person.  Accordingly, all my plans for the future provided for a more adventurous and exciting life.  One week I decided to be a “cop” and the next I wanted to drive trains.  However, the idea of becoming a radio engineer became more and more fascinating, so that when I reached the eighth grade I had definitely decided to go into this field.  But fate decreed differently.  About two months before graduation, my father approached me and asked,
“Have you decided what high school you wish to attend?”
“I don’t care to go to any  -  I’ll never be able to get through the course.”  
“Then what do you intend to do?” asked my father patiently.
“I want to study for a radio engineer”.
“But you need more schooling than you have now.”
“Then I’ll be a mere radio serviceman, - eight years of schooling is enough.”
“Perhaps you will change your mind when I tell you that you may go to Garrison.”
“May I”, I asked eagerly, wondering if my father was really serious.
“It’s up to you – think it over”  he said as he rose to leave. 
For a long time I remained seated thinking about the offer.  Although I did not care for anything connected with school, yet an offer like this could not be passed up without serious thought.
Garrison was a small town on the Hudson River directly opposite West Point.  Situated on a cliff high above the river was Glencliffe College.  The buildings were hidden from the river by several layers of stately evergreens.   In the front of the main building was a spacious lawn; on the side, at a lower depth, was a large lake which served as a “swimming hole” in summer and an ice skating ring in the winter.  On all sides in the distance could be seen the uneven silhouette of the mountains; nothing more……. To be continued.
                
My note: Bob looked at the original copy and he believes that the teacher wrote, " good description in spots together with adequate presentation of your life."    We think that the writing teacher was a female from past stories my Dad told us about his college writing teacher's involvement with the three Musketeers ( a story for another time) and Bob thinks that maybe she lowered his grade from a B+ to a B because she didn't like what he said about how the "gang" treated women.

1 comment:

  1. I can see where you get your writing talent.

    ReplyDelete