Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Huckleberry Fries - An Autobiographical Narrative by Charles A. Fries, Sr.



The following was found folded up in the bottom of a moldy box of junk.   It was truly a priceless gift to me.  Now I know why my father wanted so desperately to have the priest come to hear his last confession!  This is a side of my father I never really knew.  I couldn’t help but smile in amazement as I read his words obviously written as a school assignment when he was 19 years old.  The assignment is   labeled as:
“Charles Fries   
Aug- 13 -1935
Autobiographical Narrative”

Written in pencil on the front page is a note from his Teacher.  It says B+ which is then erased and then marked B “good description in spots” (then there is a word I can’t decipher) with “adequate” or does it say “inadequate” (again the teacher’s handwriting is hard to read – I guess she marked a lot of papers) presentation of your life.   If the word is inadequate then I have to agree because I wanted to read so much more about his life.  He doesn’t mention his siblings, the circumstances of his birth, etc.  But what he wrote was a rare and amazing journey into who he was or at least who he believed he was.   I could not help but think of “Huckleberry Finn”.  What follows in today’s Blog is page one.  There are two plus pages to follow.

“While I attended grammar school, studies held no interest for me.  This was especially true during the period from the sixth to the eighth grades.  During this time I did no more school work than was necessary to insure promotion, and often I did this only when threatened by the teacher.  In class I didn’t pay attention and at home I rushed through my assignments.  While I was supposed to pay attention I was either working out some scheme for passing notes undetected, or pondering over some elementary problem connected with my hobby – electricity.
            Outside the classroom I was much more inclined to mischief.  At home, two other rascals and myself formed a “gang” which was not very popular with the neighbors.  We roamed about the vicinity with our sling shots periling all alley cats, stray dogs (and some windows) that came in sight.   On other occasions we annoyed the girls until their whole families were “after” us.   One favorite practice was to take their ribbons, rings, and such paraphernalia.  These things were returned only when the young ladies “paid” for them.  Needless to say, we never accepted money but instead demanded something which made payment more agreeable to both parties concerned.   Although the girls did not admit that they enjoyed “paying” for their articles, nevertheless this was quite evident from the fact that they never failed to appear with such “takeables”.  Whenever we grew tired of molesting man and beast, and nothing more adventurous presented itself, we would hold a meeting behind a large wood pile far in the rear of my yard.  Here we usually filled our corn cob pipes with saw dust or with dried grape vine leaves.  I had invented this new smoke since I had been forbidden to use tobacco……………..to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment