Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Time To Remember



8 Oct 51

Dear Folks,
            I’m writing this from the company area in a field which is surrounded by large mountains.  My ballpoint pen broke and I bought this other pen and its’ not worth a darn.
            I’m in A Company of the 35th Inf. Regiment, “The Rock of the Marne” of the 2nd Infantry Division.  The Regiment is rated tops over here and they are sure eager to get the North Koreans.  We are in the Central Eastern front and are fighting North Koreans only.  They say the Chinks are planning to move into the area north of us real soon.  This company just came off the hill, they had 2 killed and 11 wounded yesterday.  They lost 2 Officers, most of the wounded lost legs from mines.  The area is heavily mined and you have to watch your step.  I would like to have those people who think there’s no war on to come over here for just one week.
            I haven’t received mail for 10 days and I guess it will be another 10 days before I do.  The news here is very scarce.  The people here at the front think the peace treaty is the bunk.  One prisoner taken yesterday never heard of the peace talk.
            We are pounding them every second with the big guns, I was about 100 yards from the 105 Howitzer last night and it was very difficult to sleep.  Knowing it was all going out and not coming in made me feel happy.  We are advancing slow but sure and are very confident we can beat them.
            Don’t worry about me, I’m doing fine, but I would appreciate all the prayers I can get.  Thinking of you all.
                                                                                    Love,
                                                                                                Joe

This was Joe’s last letter home (that I am aware of) as he was killed in action on Heartbreak Ridge in Korea on  October 13th, 1951.

No comments:

Post a Comment