Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The First Snowfall of the Winter


This is my nephew, Marty's, favorite little ditty about our dear hometown.
"I don't know
but I've been told
that Albany is mighty cold!"

He loves to tease me about the weather up here in the Capital District.
But I heard that this past Sunday into Monday, his hometown, i.e., Long Island, had blizzard conditions that dumped 20 inches of snow in the area. We, on the other hand, got a mere 6 and a half inches of the blustery white stuff. Now, I'll have to create a little ditty of my own to share with him about the "beautiful weather" on Long Island.

Interesting thing about snow. The older I get, the less I like it. Even so, it is still hard for me to resist the beauty and majesty of that first major snowfall of the season. For a short time the drab, leafless landscape gets magically covered by a sparkling, pristine white blanket. Traffic stops. Stillness and quiet take over. For an enchanting moment we are held in a mystical embrace of peace until the inevitable digging out must begin.
But when your 5 years old, this delightful day continues on perfectly as cherished memories are created.
Mary Beth
PS. I took the photo of Connor today while he played in the snow in our backyard.

1 comment:

  1. Very well writen Mom. I love the picture of Connor. He is so cute.

    ReplyDelete