Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cream Puffs


I could be doing so many things today - the day before the day before Christmas- but instead I spend my day making Cream Puffs. I just had to do it. I was was driven, compelled. I can't explain why. Making cream puffs is very time consuming but the end result is to die for. My mother use to make Cream Puffs when Father Godfrey or some other very special guest was coming over for dinner. We, her family, were thrilled when we saw the Cream Puff mess all over the kitchen because we knew what was coming.
It is a three step process; first you make the pastry, then the delicious vanilla cream filling and then the decadent dark chocolate topping. It is all made from scratch and by the time you are finished there are pots, pans, bowls, sugar, mixers, spatulas,and chocolate all over the place. Chaos reigns but it really doesn't matter. Seeing the Cream Puffs sitting peacefully on the shelf in your refrigerator makes it all worthwhile.
Did you wonder who my very special guest is that rates these extraordinary Cream Puffs? I guess when it comes right down to it you could say that today I was making them especially for my own dear Mother.
Thanks Mom, You were right there in the kitchen with me today!
Love, Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment