Wednesday, July 14, 2010

St. Joseph's Church is Closing


It is with great sadness that I announce the closing Mass at St. Joseph's Church in St. Joseph's Pa. The closing Mass is scheduled for this Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 3PM. The celebrant will be a priest named, Rev. Gregory Reichlen. Following the closing ceremony there will be a Buffet Dinner at St. John Neumann Hall. Cost for adults is $12, ages 6-12 - $6. and under 5 is free.
The phone # is 570- 553-2288 and the website is www.ourparishcommunity.com
Bob and I are unable to attend but encourage any family members who are available on Sunday to attend in the name of the O'Donnell Clan.
This Church has been the spiritual home of the O'Donnell Family since the early to mid 1800's. If you remember, John and Mary O'Donnell ( the grandparents of John, Frank & TJ O'Donnell) came over from Tipperary, Ireland in the 1830's and in 1847 they bought 55 acres of land in St. Joseph, Pa from Caleb Carmalt (thus the name Carmalt Lake). They had 9 children - the 5th child born on 18 Sept. 1847 was Thomas, father of John, Frank & TJ O'Donnell. Thomas married Annie Clark who came to the US from County Longford, Ireland when she was 6 weeks old.
So as you can see St. Joseph's Church in St. Joseph, Pa, has long been a part of our history.
I have to say that I think I made sure I was busy on the 18th simply to avoid the sadness. Maybe others in our family are braver than me! I hope so.
Love, Mary Beth
PS. If you go to the closing Mass, please stop by my mother's grave (Rita Mary O'Donnell Fries). She is buried in the cemetery next to the church (her grave is near the back of the church). She would love to see you. She is buried next to her grandparents, Thomas and Annie Clark O'Donnell). Annie Clark's parents (my great, great grandparents) are buried nearby.

3 comments:

  1. Mary Beth - I am so sorry that such an important part of your family history (a relic) is being closed. But memories of the role St. Joseph's has had in your family roots will live on forever in the minds and spirits of the O'Donnell prodigy. God Bless all of those that are buried in its' cemetery. Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you are most thoughtful. Thanks, Mario.
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, was saddened to hear of St. Joseph's closing. Our camper is less than a mile from there, and I often enjoyed attending Mass. I never knew your Mom was buried there, Mary Beth. I visit the cemetary up on "Irish Hill," where my mom and grandmother are buried. I'll add your mom's grave to my list!

    ReplyDelete