Monday, July 19, 2010

Rescued By You

When I was drowning in my sorrow

You reached out and grasped my hand

It would have been easier to pretend you didn’t see, to walk on,

so you could enjoy your day

Instead you chose to stay

When I was drowning in my grief and my eyes were filled with torment

You looked into them nevertheless

You were willing to share my pain, to bear my cross, to hold on to me,

‘less I slip under and drown

When I was drowning in my despair and my breath was lost in tears

You hung on to me for dear life

When I fell back into the swirling darkness

and my vision blurred and my hearing failed me

You became my eyes and ears

This is the miracle of life –in the midst of my drowning,

You risked drowning, too

simply to save me

What words would ever be adequate to thank you sufficiently?

None I know, but yet I feel the need to try

When things became too difficult to bear and my grasp weakened,

It would have been so much easier for you to let go of me

and allow me to be covered by the pain

Instead you held on to me all the tighter

When I screamed out in anger, others said, “Ingrate”, “Go ahead and drown”

Again you offered a patient, steadfast hand

And there were those who felt I had sufficient time to mourn

You too might have felt I was a little weak

I should have been brave enough and strong enough to get on with my life

Yet you refrained from giving me advice and your silence was a blessing

When others left to get on with their many chores

You supported me and let me hold on to you still

You knew I wasn’t quite ready, and

You loved me enough to save me from drowning

There are no words with enough meaning

to adequately express my thanksgiving and gratitude

But may you be blessed with the knowledge

that you were instrumental in saving my life,

pulling me through, rescuing my spirit

Thank you for holding my hand, bearing my pain, and sharing my sorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Mary Beth - I remember this passage from somewhere. It's touching and beautiful! Could you tell me where I can find it?

    ReplyDelete