Thursday, January 30, 2020

You’re in the Army Now

Pvt. Jos. T. O’Donnell 
13th Battalion Battery A
1st Platoon B’ldg 1711
Fort Eustis Va. 

To: Mrs. Charles Fries 
58 Interboro P’kway
Brooklyn 
New York 

Instead of a stamp it says Free

Newport News Va
Dec 14 1942 

                     Thursday Dec. 10, 1942 
Dear Rita, 
          I guess by right I owe you a half a dozen letters, but I’ll be darned if I can ever catch up.  However I got your letter today so I’ll try to answer them in order starting now. 
           Gee you must have had some time at Prof. Kirkpatrick’s house.  Stanley Birnbasson the fellow sleeping on my right had him a year in school. He says he’s a great guy.  He’s color blind as anything though.  They had a great time kidding him. Have Charley ask the Prof. if he knows Stan.  He had him last June ending. He is the only one that got two A’s both semesters.  A real smart guy.  Only 19 and has graduated from college. 
           I don’t know now when I’ll be home again.  We are gigged this weekend and I don’t know if it carries on any further. Gosh I hope not, I’d love to get home again before Christmas. 
           I had my O.C.S. physical yesterday. I don’t know how I made out.  My eyes aren’t corrected to 20/20. I hope they give me a waiver. 
          We’re busy every moment now, work all day, after supper scrub floors and go to sleep.  Oh yes I left out Math class from 7 to 8.  Some fun this army. 
          I think I better close for now.  I’m writing this after noon chow and another class & lecture begins any minute. 
           Loads of Love to you & the boss. 
                      Your lovingly brother
                                             Joe.


No comments:

Post a Comment