Thursday, January 30, 2020

Return to Sender - October 1951

The Saddest “ Return to Sender” letter 
Postmarked Flushing, NY Oct 5 9PM 1951 
Returned 18 Oct 51 

To: Lt. Joseph T. O’Donnell 0-1059578
       Army Unit 8069
       APO 301
       c/o San Francisco, Calif. 

From: 62 Interboro Parkway 
           Brooklyn 7 
                 NY 

Dear Joe, 
         Mother gave me your new address so I’ll write a few lines to you tonight to let you know we’re all thinking of you and praying for you every day.  I hope the going isn’t too tough. How is the food?  Would you like us to send you anything in that line? 
           Do you have any radios over there? 
If so, you’ve probably heard the Dodgers lost to the Giants yesterday.  The World Series started today and the Giants won the first game from the Yanks.  Charlie, Sr. came home very excited about yesterday’s game. It was the first time I ever saw him so aroused over a ball game.  I’m wondering if Junie and Joyce will be down.  They had planned to come for a week but I haven’t heard from them since we were up there. 
            I haven’t seen Marie or the children since Saturday.  Mother said they visited her last night.  I hope Marie gets a phone soon.  Then I can call her and get the news.  Last Thursday I spent the day at Maureen’s and in the evening the kids and I stopped up at your house.  Marie said she was busy from quarter of five till eight thirty doing homework with Sharon.  I had the same headache tonight with little Charlie.  Boy, it feels like I am back in school again.  I’ll be getting re-educated if it keeps up. 
           Mary Beth’s class went to the Bronx Zoo today.  She was very happy about the trip and had a wonderful time.  She has the same teacher Charlie had in the second grade. 
            We don’t get much war news on the radio lately.  Do you hear anything or know anything about how things are going?  I guess it will require a miracle to put an end to all the fighting.  Take care of yourself.  I’ll write soon again. 
                               Love
                                    Rita 

                          October 4, 1951 

1 comment:

  1. The letter was returned to sender because my Uncle Joe was killed on Heartbreak Ridge in Korea on October 13, 1951. Uncle Joe never got his big sister’s letter and it was send back to my mother, Rita O’Donnell Fries.

    ReplyDelete