Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bare Bio Facts - Courtship and Marraige

The night before Thanksgiving in 1969 I went to the Desert Inn on the Van Wyck Expressway (Queens). Since I was working early the next day, I drove alone to this "pick up" establishment so I could leave a little earlier than my girlfriends.  I met two guys that night.  Walter asked me out but Bob was the one I wanted.  A month later, after praying a special Christmas Novena, I found Bob again (in a city of over 8 million people!) at Pep McGuires on Queens Blvd.  I am embarrassed to say we "made out" like banshees right there at the bar (but then again, I had had two martini's which will loosen one's inhibitions).
After a rather tumultuous courtship ( I threw my engagement ring "away" a couple of times), we married on September 18th, 1971 at my parish church, St. Michael's the Archangel in the East New York section of Brooklyn.  We lived in a small apartment in Ridgewood, Queens (the one I originally shared with my roommate, Joanne) for the first three and a half years of our marriage. We moved out of the metropolitan New York area (to the "country")for good on my 30th birthday, March 9, 1975.
The problem was we moved "way too country" , i.e., 17 miles northeast of Binghamton, NY to our mobile home and recreation property which was on a dirt road that had been advertised in the local paper as 5 acres " high and dry" .  This proved to be a lot more rural than a girl from Brooklyn and a boy from Astoria could handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment