Tuesday, August 4, 2015

# 3 The Unconventional Biography of a St. Vincent's R.N.



Because my birthday wasn’t until March 9th, I was only 16 years old for most of my senior year at Our Lady of Wisdom Academy.   At this young age, the prospect of attending four more years of school was unbearable; I saw it as a monstrous chunk out of my life!   So, even though I thought I would really enjoy being a High School Algebra or Geometry teacher, I couldn’t imagine committing to this much more education.   I was also frightened when I thought about the prospect of having to stand up in front of a class and teach.  
I also couldn’t be a secretary since the girls in the academic program at my high school weren’t allowed to take typing or any other commercial subjects.    I had no serious, viable marriage prospects at that point in my life, so the role of housewife and mother didn’t appear to be an immediate option.   And as I have already alluded to at the beginning of my story, entering a convent was out of the question.  The thought of becoming a nun literally made me sick to my stomach.   
Thanks to my baby sister, Meg, I now knew one thing for certain - I loved taking care of babies.  Then I found out that Nursing School, although still a painfully long time, was a wee bit shorter than college, only 3 years as opposed to 4. Lastly, I was awarded a N.Y.S. Regents Scholarship for Nursing that would completely cover the cost of my nurses training program.  I was offered a measly, relatively useless financial “incentive”  award if I had decided to attend college and I came from a household where we didn’t have a whole heck  of a lot of extra money floating around.  My “chosen” path was becoming clearer and clearer.    I would become a nurse and take care of babies for the rest of my life!

1 comment: