Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 18, 1971

43 years ago today, i.e., September 18th 1971, at St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church on Jerome Street in Brooklyn, NY was the scene of this life changing event.  I said , "I do" and Bob said it too and here we are all these years later married still.  I don't think we had a clue as to what we were in for- does anyone really know what they are signing up for when they say those words, "For better or for worse for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health until death do us part".  Bob was pale and clammy, I was on a Equinol (thanks to my dear Daddy)and we made it though the day.   Bob was truly the best man for me and I hope I was the best woman for him (he always wanted to marry a nurse and I always wanted to marry a man who was stronger than me).  I think we both got what we wanted.  He told me long ago that our love was different than other loves - you know the loves that eventually dissolved, gave up and fell by the wayside.  He said our love would survive the test of time.  He promised me that and I cherished that promise through thick and thin.   It hasn't always been a bed of roses but it certainly was worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  After all, anyone who knows me well, knows I looked far and wide to find the "best" man for me and with the help of God, I found him.  Besides, I always loved his voice and his sense of humor - what more could a woman ask for!
The Mass was con-celebrated by Fr. Godfrey Leuchinger, OFM Cap, Fr. Owen Shelly, OFM Cap and Fr. Al Varriale (of St. Rita's Church  and counselor extraordinare.

No comments:

Post a Comment