Thursday, September 4, 2014

More than I ever wanted to know about a Robotic Prostatectomy

It has been awhile since I have shared any family history on my Blog.   I have been too caught up in the present to share the past.  Bob had a laparoscopic, robotic radical prostatectomy last Friday, August 29th, and that has kept us busy.  I, of course, have been a nervous wreck.  I wish I could say I was brave and strong but I would be lying.    Bob, thank God, is doing very well. Although it hasn't been exactly fun, we appear to be progressing very nicely.  Surprisingly, after having the surgery at 10:30 AM on Friday, he was at a Labor Day party at our friend's home on Monday.   He stayed for a full 4 hours and even laughed and socialized as if nothing had happened to him.  Amazing man!     Tuesday morning when he wakes up, he shows me the bruise the size of Alaska on his right side and scares the living daylights out of me.   He also tells me he is feeling rather weak and since no one warned us that this type of massive bruising could happen, I assume that he may be hemorrhaging internally.
I called the Surgeon's office as soon as the place opened and they said they would see him immediately.  As soon as he pulls some pants on, we are in the car on the way to St. Peter's Hospital Professional Building  to see the doctor.  I'm expecting they may want to admit him and possibly do emergency surgery to stop the bleeding, so needless to say, I'm pretty shock up.  Nonetheless, I start to play a role, I literally feel like an actress, I am acting the part of a cool cucumber so as not to alarm my husband.  Besides we also have our inquisitive 9 year old grandson, Connor, for the day and he is going with us to the Doctor's office.  No need to start screaming and fainting in front of them both - what the hell good would that do.
The doctor comes in, pulls up Bob's shirt and says something like, "oh, that's normal".    I'm relieved Bob doesn't need emergency surgery but still can't believe that this type of massive bruise is "within normal limits".  I want to believe it.  We like this guy a lot and have great faith in him, so I start to breathe a little easier.   That night the bruise is twice as big as it was in the morning and I now I am wondering once again, do we go to the ER?, am I ignoring a dangerous symptom? am I an utter fool?
For God's sake, I'm an RN, I should be doing something!  Bob says "no, we're not going anywhere, I'm going to bed".  I tell him I'm going on line to do some research and he says, "fine".  I try to find some photos of "bruising after prostatectomy' but find none. Finally I find some written material that says a man can have "rather dramatic bruising after robotic prostatectomy" and another piece by a guy who says he had a bruise that was 16inches by 12 inches.  That's about the size of Bob's bruise so, I shut down the computer, say a prayer, take an Ativan and go to sleep.
The top photo is from the Labor Day Party on Monday.
This next photo is the bruise.  I bet you would have freaked out too!  I do think people should be told that this type of bruising can happen.

3 comments:

  1. I too had the same kind of bruising, I was the color of an eggplant. After about a week the color had changed so I looked like I was Jondis, very yellow over time this too went away, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My surgery was on July 6th. I read that walking helps with recovery I am walking 2 miles every morning and doing great.

    ReplyDelete