Sunday, May 25, 2014

Remembering my Uncle Joe O'Donnell this Memorial Day Weekend

A V-Mail letter dated  Belgium  16 Jan. 45
To: Mrs. Charles Fries
58 Interboro P'kway
Brooklyn, NY
                                                                     From:
                                                                     Lt. J. O'Donnell
                                                                     Co. E. 401 Glider Inf.
                                                                     APO # 472 c/o P.M.N.Y.
Dear Rita, & Family
       
          I still have to answer your letter from Dec 18th so will take this chance to drop you a line.
       
          I received a letter from mother today telling me I'm the proud poppa of a baby girl.  I think I'm the happiest man alive and can't express myself in words or writing.   I only wish I could be there to see her, she must be wonderful.

         I'm staying in a little house with a store in front in a small town behind the lines.  We had a little excitement tonight when a Robot Bomb dropped in to pay a call.  They are frequent visitors here. The other day they shot down a Jerry plane that tried to do some sneak straffing (I have no idea what this word means). Loads of fun!!!

        I have a stinker of a cold, and don't feel too well, but this news today sure is peping me up.

        I hope you all are well, will tell you lots of true exciting stories when I get home.

        Well for tonight  Loads of love to you all
                                          from your brother
                                                            Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment