Thursday, May 29, 2014

Luke's Story - summarized

Tonight I gave my nephew, Luke, the section of my Mother's handwritten diary that pertained to his  premature arrival.  Then I thought that possibly my Blog readers may like to know what happened.
So to summarize, Luke arrived August 21st 1979 weighing in at a whooping 2 pound 6 ounces.  Initially, he did remarkably well and then as you know from my mother's  "Dear Luke" letters (that I included in previous blog entries) Luke had a terrible setback, and was intubated and on a respirator and antibiotics for a few days while we all prayed, and held our breaths.  My mother stayed at my house in Colonie, NY for awhile after Luke was born and then returned home to her husband (my father) in Brooklyn.
Luke started to improve and began breathing on his own again.  He gradually gained a little weight and on October 19, 1979, he was discharged from Albany Medical Center, weighing 4 lbs 2 oz, to live with his Mom, Meg, and his Dad, Carl, in their home on Esopus Creek in Saugerties, NY.
Luke has grown into a handsome, loving human being.  We are most grateful that he made it as our lives would not have been the same without him!

No comments:

Post a Comment