Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Treasures Among the Trash

Today, while wading through the mountains of junk on my Dad's back porch, I came across a notebook that contained some stories that my mother wrote for me years ago.  I put some questions on each page in the notebook and my mother answered some of them.
Here is one such question and my mother's answer:
What do you remember about your wedding?
On the night before our wedding our apartment was crowded with out of town guests.  Aunt Nellie invited me to sleep in her apartment upstairs. Before bedtime, Aunt Nellie gave me a glass of wine to drink to assure that I would have no trouble getting to sleep.  The wine did the trick and I fell asleep immediately. In 1940 the Eucharistic fast began at midnight and nothing to eat or drink could be taken after that time.
The next morning at 8 a.m. I walked around the corner to our beautician to have my hair combed.
Mass was at 10 a.m.  Maureen, Dad, and I left at 9:30 to be on time.  Although I had wanted the song, "Believe me for all those endearing young charms" sung during the Mass, I was told since it was not a hymn it could not be used at the ceremony.  As it turned out I am happy to say the hymn, "Panis Angelicus" was sung in its place.  It is a beautiful hymn that I heard for the first time at our wedding.  A friend on my cousin Gene O'Donnell was the soloist.
I remember how grateful and happy I felt.  My heart was filled with joy and gratitude to God for giving me the man of my dreams that day, and I was surrounded by the people I loved and were close and important to me.
I felt a tinge of sadness when all the unmarried, young people left to continue partying while Charlie and I felt obliged to stay at home with the married folk.  At close to midnight Uncle John and Aunt Rose dropped us off at our new apartment on 1492 Bushwich Avenue.  I remember it was snowing when we reached our apartment.  When we reached our door Charlie carried me over the threshold. 


No comments:

Post a Comment