Sunday, October 27, 2013

Letter dated May 31, 1938

Over the years I heard many stories about my father and mother's visit to her Grandma Hannah Coleman's home in Friendsville, Pa while they were still "sparking" (I was going to say "courting" but then I remember that my father always used the word, "sparking".  I guess that means there were some sparks, wouldn't you say?)
Seems they had a very good time since my father referred to it often.   Apparently they spent quite a lot of time on the front porch but when it was time for bed, Grandma made certain there was no hanky-panky.  My mother slept upstairs and my father wasn't allowed past the first floor.   Today, I was excited to find the following letter buried in the junk on my father's back porch. It was written by Margaret O'Donnell ("Mother") on May 31, 1938 and it was addressed to Rita & Charlie.   It surprised me to learn that my parents took a trip up to the country together over two years before they got married (on Oct 19, 1940).

"                                                                          1017 Putnam Ave.
                                                                            Brooklyn, NY
                                                                            May 31, 1938
Dear Rita & Charlie:
         We were rather worried not to get a line from you folks until today but know it's easy to neglect getting the letters in on time.  We thought you might send us a card from Scranton.  Well, we will forgive you this time.
          I am glad you are having such a nice time.  The weather is rather cool here today but nice & clear. How did you get down to Binghamton & how long did you stay?
          How was the dance last night? Which one did you attend?
          Have you seen Grandma and Aunt Bridge yet?
          We spent a very quiet holiday.  Staid (this is how she spelled stayed) in bed until nearly noon then got up & straightened up the house & Maureen & Anne went up to Fries' and spent the afternoon & staid for supper.  They are planning on a big time Sat. night.  Jerry spent Sunday with us.  We had dinner early & then went riding.
          How are all the folks up there?  Is Aunt Genevieve quite well now? & Aunt Bridgie Byrne?
          Write again soon. With best love to all the Gearys and yourselves from all of us.
                                                                              Lovingly,
                                                                              Mother
                                                   We will mail the chief. "
In the letter above the referral to Grandma is Hannah Byrne Coleman and Aunt Bridge is Bridget Byrne Reilly ( Grandma Coleman's sister and the owner of Aunt Bridge's farm where I vacationed in my childhood and across the road from where Rita & Charlie are now buried.
Apparently my Aunt Maureen and my Aunt Anne were visiting at the Fries' home on Interboro Pkwy (Vermont Ave.)  As young people they use to hang out together in a crowd.  I am uncertain if "Jerry" is my Uncle Gerard O'Donnell or it could have been a guy that Aunt Maureen dated before she married Joe Marski.    I am not sure who Aunt Genevieve is but I know that my mother's Uncle Mart Coleman ( Margaret Mary Coleman O'Donnell's brother) was married to Genevieve.  I am not sure who Bridgie Byrne is ?  Aunt Bridge's married name was Reilly).  This weekend my cousin's Anne Mc Carthy and Anne Herman are coming for a visit and I will ask them if they know who Margaret is referring to in her letter.   I wonder if they visited someone in Scranton?  I think Rosina Coleman Smith went to school in Scranton and maybe Mother Mary Coleman.
I find it a bit upsetting to find such marvelous letters by sheer luck.  Literally they are mixed together with pure, unadulterated junk.

3 comments:

  1. Loving every moment of these gems! Judy Ellison Papso

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered that the "chief" was a type of newspaper that posted civil service jobs.

    ReplyDelete