Saturday, September 8, 2012

50 years since graduation - Reflections on High School


I was one of two 8th Graders who made the Diocesan HS, Bishop McDonald’s, but choose to go to Our Lady of Wisdom Academy instead for a couple of reasons.  My cousin, Nancy, who lived in the house next door, was already a freshman at Wisdom so my family was familiar with the school.  But I believe the primary reason I went to OLWA was because my father considered a subway ride into the bowels of Brooklyn much too dangerous for his “little girl”.   My parents assumed that taking a bus in the opposite direction - out towards Queens – would be a much safer option.    So in September 1958, dressed to the gills in nylons, some sort of pre-historic girdle, bobby socks, navy blue and white saddle shoes, long sleeved white blouse, navy blue jumper, navy blue blazer with the OLWA patch sewn securely on the left side, I began my high school experience in a very interesting, multi-windowed, albeit ancient, drafty one-story structure known as Room 110.
At the time, I was 13 years old, my figure was still rather one dimensional, and I thought I was much “too tall” therefore I slouched a bit in order to compensate.    I suffered from adolescent acne, and a bad perm; I felt awkward and out of place. 
In the fog of old recollections, there are a few clearer snapshots.  On the momentous occasion of our 50th year anniversary of High School graduation, I jotted down a few.  Maybe you can relate to one or two.
·         I vividly recall raising my hand, and standing by the side of my desk in Room 110 as I asked a question in an attempt to clarify a  document of faith that had just been presented by our Religion Instructor, Sister So and So.   I felt stung, shocked and embarrassed as I was told, “Isn’t that what I just said?   Interesting though, I’m still asking for clarifications and I’m still being reprimanded.   Some things about a person never change.
I remember:
·          our ultra modest skirted gym suits with attached pantaloons and taking forever to stitch my name, Mary Beth Fries, across the back.  On nice weather days, my classmates and I would cross the street to a rather small, chain-linked enclosed outdoor recreation area for gym class.  Sometimes cars would have to stop to let us finish crossing and occasionally we would receive a wolf-whistle or two.   Realizing what our gym suits looked like, I often wondered if the wolves were simply being sarcastic.
·         taking massive amounts of written notes as the facts and figures flowed from the mouth of efficient Miss Rose Culligan in American History class.  I hardly ever looked over the notes again except in the brief cramming session before a major exam.
·         in sophomore year, sweet and gentle Sister Ancilla coming over to my desk and quietly telling me to keep my mouth still while I was reading to myself.  I never forgot that bit of simple advice and, to this day, I occasionally think of Sister Ancilla as I sit alone and read.
·         I absolutely loved Algebra and Geometry and I wished I could one day be a High School math teacher.   Sadly thinking that my only real choices were nun, teacher (but certainly not Math), nurse or secretary.   
·         feelings of total dread and isolation on the bus trip to Litchfield, Connecticut and coming quickly to the conclusion that I could definitely cross off “nun” from my mental list of life’s choices.   Feeling guilty for feeling this way and thinking that becoming a nurse would somehow make it up to God.
·          going through a brief crush on an upper classmen (or should I say classwomen) on the basketball team and then realizing I liked men better.   I later was relieved when I learned in an Intro to Psychology course that same sex attractions are a normal developmental stage.   
·         walking downstairs to a crowded, partially underground area containing our metal lockers.
·         changing clothes behind the stage curtains before and after gym.
·         the wonderful feeling of “belonging” as I developed special friendships with some lovely young ladies in my class – Linda Giarratano, Phyllis Fragale, Susan Bellamacina.  Thanks you Special Friends, it was so great to feel accepted by you.
·         sitting in the lunchroom with these new found friends and purposely securing a table at the end of a row so I could check out the returning trays to see if any interesting- looking leftover food items were up for grabs.  These new found friends put up with a lot of embarrassment by association. 
·         attending dances at other High Schools with Louise Andrison and lamenting that OLWA had none.
·         during a school retreat in the chapel, standing in line for confession behind Louise Cola as we rehearsed together how we would verbalize our sins to the priest.    I remember admiring her and thinking she had “better” sins than mine.
·         fearing that I might be greeted by only one corsage on my desk as I walked into class on the morning of my birthday.  Do you remember those interesting, creative corsages that were decorated with certain objects (tootsie roll pops , sugar cubes, Bolooka Bubble Gum, dog biscuits, etc.) depending on your age. 
to be continued...... Reflections on HS

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mary Beth how you have brought back memories..mostly good ones. I went to OLWA because my sister had already graduated from there. I was so quiet and shy that I had a hard time socializing until I got to really know everyone. I was overweight (very self conscious about it)and remember being humiliated when I had to tell Miss Mooney that I had lost my gym bloomers (my gym suit was in two pieces because of the size). I laugh at all that now. People are amazed when I tell them that friendships I made fifty odd years ago are still strong even though we dont see one another often. I am so looking forward to re-meeting so many of you soon. Georgette Galbraith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you continue with your memories. If we all knew that so many of us felt the same, our HS years would have been easier.

    Also, if Sr. Mary Madeline was grading this today she would have to give you an A+++.

    ReplyDelete