Saturday, May 29, 2010

Why I Am Still a Catholic

I had some really awful experiences in Catholic School and yet I am still a Catholic. Some people have asked me why. First of all let me say that honestly Catholic School wasn't all bad. I had some good experiences, too. But the main reason I am still a Catholic can be summed up in the following description of why I wanted to remain a Eucharistic Minister when our Church, St. Francis de Sales, merged with another Church, Our Lady of Mercy. When we became a new entity known as Christ Our Light Catholic Church each Eucharistic Minister was asked to submit a statement as to why he or she wanted to continue being a Eucharistic Minister. I know there are problems in the Church just as there are problems in every human endeavor. I guess that is why we are called human rather than divine. In spite of everything that has transpired, the statement that I submitted should give you a pretty good idea of why I am still a Catholic and plan to remain a Catholic.

Being a Eucharistic Minister is the most important thing I do in my life.

It is an extension of who I am in my daily life - One important way that I nurture my family and loved ones is through food and sharing around the table.

Eucharist is the primary reason I am Catholic.

I feel Christ’s presence very strongly as I share His most precious Body and Blood. I feel love for each and every member of the congregation as they come forward to receive Christ in the Eucharist. This is not because I am the sweetest, most loving individual in the world or because I always have loving, positive thoughts about everyone. Rather, it is because God creates this change in me as I share Him with the other members of His Body.

I am also encouraged by the fact that so many other members of both parishes are Eucharist ministers too. I can only guess and hope that it is because that they realize the centrality of the Eucharist also.

It is a tremendous, awesome honor to be a minister of the Eucharist. Although I am absolutely not in any way worthy, nevertheless I hope I can be a Eucharistic Minister for the rest of my life.

Mary Beth Buchner

PS. The photo above was taken of me on my First Communion day in early June 1951. I refused to open my mouth when I smiled as I was missing my front teeth. I was stubborn even as a kid.

I received my First Holy Communion at St. Michael the Archangel Church in the East New York section of Brooklyn, NY. I had just turned 6 years old three months earlier (March 9th) and I was a student at PS 76 at the time. Back in those days, once a week we left our Public School early in order to go to the Catholic School for religious instructions. It was referred to as "released time" since we were released earlier that usual from school. I remember that one day the nun in my "released time" class called me up to the front of the class so that the priest could ask me questions. Since I was younger than most of the other kids they wanted to see if I was ready to receive my First Holy Communion. I remember that this nun and this priest seemed very kind. The priest asked me if I knew who I would be receiving when I was given the host. I was very clear about who I was receiving then and I am very clear about who I am receiving now. Plain and simple, this is all the reason I need to remain a Catholic. Honestly what better reason could there ever be?

No comments:

Post a Comment