Monday, February 26, 2024

Grandma’s Story 2 and 3

1. What was my favorite TV show as a child ? 2. What was the First movie 🎥 I saw in the theater ? 1. One of my favorite weekly shows when I was a child was a half hour show entitled, " I Remember Mama". I'm not sure what exactly drew me to this show but I looked forward to watching it every week. I think it was on TV every Saturday night and I believe the whole family watched it with me. Possibly that was part of the reason I enjoyed it as much as I did because it was comforting to be sitting together relaxing as a family. My very favorite episode was something that impressed me and always gives me a warm and wonderful feeling. It was shown at Christma time and it was about a Christmas Eve where the animals in the barn actually talked. It sounds a bit silly to even write this now, but as a child I remember feeling the tingling sensation that such a thing could really happen. That feeling was awesome and it stayed with me over these many decades. I guess as a child I accepted the fact that this type of miracle was possible and it touched me deeply. I wish I could see this episode again but possibly it might ruin the feeling of delight that my initial experience gave me. Sort of like the lyrics of a song from Babes in Toyland/The March of the Wooden Soldiers, "Toyland, Toyland, wonderful, mystical joyland, once you pass its borders, you can never return again. There were other shows I remember watching togeher as a family and I also remember the feeling of safety snd being loved as I sat in my father's lap as a young child as we watched shows such as "The Hit Parade" (where singers would perform the top 10 songs of the week). I remember, " How much is that Doggy in the Window"?; " The Green Door"; and other popular songs of the 1950's. We watched Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners and the Ed Sullivan Show and Milton Beryl and The Texaco Hour. We were the first house on the street where I lived to own a TV set and a lot of the neighborhood kids came over to our house to see this exciting new invention. An early favorite kiddy show was the Howdy Doody
Show with characters Buffalo Bill and Clarabelle.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that Christmas barn episode also- also watched as a family Bishop Fulton J Sheen- my father was a fan of boxing ( he boxed in high school and college) so we watched Friday night fights on TV,Lawrence Welk, Mitch Miller, I Love Lucy, Jimmy Durante ( Goodnight Mrs Calabash wherever you are), Andy Divine on Sat mornings( plunk your magic twanger froggy),Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers,memories !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that those of us the same age have the same memories. Hopalong Cassidy was my brothers favorite, mine was Father Knows Best.

    ReplyDelete