Saturday, February 18, 2023

Old Age

Although the alternative is probably worse, old age sucks (not a very nice way for a “ lady” to talk).

Watching us old people walk and sit and stand and do just about everything slower and more laborious is downright depressing.   The joints hurt, the muscles weaken,  teeth, eyes and ears need all the help they can get. The Medicare depression survey is all too real to me now. I’m not really sure why these questions are asked when there isn’t anything they do to correct the reality or solve the problem.  

Basically it is a time of downward spiraling and stories of sickness and death fill the conversations all around me. This one’s got cancer, that one’s spouse has Alzheimer’s, and on and on and on.  Too many wakes and funerals and “celebrations of life”.  All this is happening at a time when I’m not even sure what exactly I believe in anymore.  Who is this God? What awaits us after we take our final breath and our heart stops beating?  Does anyone really know? 

The reality is that our time is running out and we’re moving more and more to the periphery. 

I’m told to live in the moment, count my blessings and I’d like to be able to do that but oftentimes it’s not that easy to do.  

Are you ever feeling this way? 

Or are you better at being happy than I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment