Friday, May 24, 2019

The Decker Brothers and the Delhi Diner


On May 1, 2019 I parallel parked and stepped out of my RAV 4 SUV and started to walk across the Main street towards the Delhi Diner. 
“ Can I help you Mam” he said and I immediately realized that for the first time since the summer of 1961, I stood face to face with Golden Decker.  The last time we saw each other I was 16 years old and he was 18.   We’re now 74 and 77 ! If you have never experienced this type of reunion, I must tell you that it is a strange sensation.   Old people stood where once there was youth!    
Although I had connected with Golden Decker on Facebook several months beforehand it was something else altogether to be standing there in front of each other, face to face.   
The “Foxy One “ (as Golden Decker had dubbed my cousin Sharon ) was coming around the vehicle from the curb side. I dare say that for Golden the Sharon-sighting reigned supreme!  If you followed my blog entries entitled “The Decker Brothers” you’ll understand why.  I quickly realized that we’d better move our reunion to the sidewalk if we didn’t want to be flattened.   

We were a little late for the breakfast crowd and a bit early for lunch so we could claim any table in the down-home, country establishment.   Golden sat on one side of the table and I sat on the other while Sharon excused herself to use the Ladies Room. When she returned Golden suggested she sit across the table from him,  “ so I can look directly at your face! “ Our exteriors has changed rather dramatically during the 58 years since we last met but amazingly “who we were at our core” seemed to remain rock solid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment