Monday, March 5, 2018

The Sadness of Aging

A few years ago, I was given a questionnaire to fill out prior to one of my doctor's appointments.  It contained many rather depressing statements and questions regarding my present state of mind.  It was obviously designed to pick up signs and symptoms of depression in the elderly.  Back then, when I tried to answer this questionnaire, I just couldn't do it. After giving several answers  I started responding in a rather sarcastic, comical way.  I felt it was a bit condescending and I basically refused to take it seriously.  I was not ready to categorize myself as one of the "elderly".  I was able to deny that the "golden years" were upon me.
Today, I texted my sister and asked if she was free to take a walk with me.  We met at the Mall and seeing her smiling face again after a 6 week hiatus was immediately uplifting.  I desperately needed to pull myself out of my funk. Walking with a darling sister or beloved friend is certainly a way to do that.  Thank God, I am still able to grab onto this life saver.   I was feeling melancholy lately after being bombarded with all the unpleasant things that accompany aging.  It seems like all the people I know who are my age or close to it  are dealing with one medical condition or experiencing significant losses of one type or another.   Cancer of this or that body part, gastric malfunctions, bowel problems, heart defects as well as defective knees, hips, backs.  On and on, I could go, but you get the picture, especially if you happen to be in this same boat.   "Try not to dwell on it", people say.  That is getting harder and harder, I reply.  How can I adequately suppress the reality that is rearing its ugly head everywhere I turn.  It is more and more difficult to live in a fantasy when doctor's appointments, diagnostic procedures and funerals replace the things I'd rather spend time doing.  
I think it is best for me to express this reality and accept these rather significant limitations, so I can enjoy the moments that still bring me joy.   I am blessed and I have many great things in my life. I am grateful.  But the sadness is real too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment