Thursday, December 28, 2017

Buchner Photos

He is seated next to his maternal grandmother, Sally T. Carney - a character if ever there was one!  When I first started dating Bob, I remember her singing little dirty ditties, such things as "I knew knew a girl who dressed in black, she did the boogie woogie on her back." She also described how she wanted to marry a guy named, Eddie, and although she was quite young (Sally T. Wallice, at the time)  she stomped her feet and jumped up and down and said, "I don't care what you say, I'm gonna marry my Eddie" and she did! After a drink or two she told really interesting little stories about her life, such things as how she and her Eddie would do "it"( i.e., the wild thing)  all over the house!"  This was of course after they were married, at least that is the impression I got.  Sally T. Carney was a very strong and powerful woman.  She gave birth to my mother-in-law, Loretta Gloria Carney Buchner and 11 years later after about 13 miscarriages finally gave birth to her second child, Sally T. Carney.   Grandma Carney use to say she would look at herself in the mirror and call herself names such as "you smuck" because she couldn't carry a baby to term! 
Bob's younger brother, Eddie Buchner, is seated on Grandma Carney's lap, although he does not appear to be too pleased about it.   Bob believes that the boy on the other side of the bench (in the shorts), is a kid named Freddy Hegenbach (or something like that).  Freddy lived very close by on a local farm. 
Bob was born on June 7th, 1947 therefore I assume this photo was taken around the Spring of 1953. Bob received his First Holy Communion at St. Francis of Assisi Church in Astoria, Queens, but I can only imagine the party was held at Grandma Carney's house on Wallice Court in Huntington Station, Long Island.  Grandma Carney's father was a builder and since he built the few houses on this little dead end Street in Huntington Station, he named the street, Wallice Court, after himself.  He also built houses in Brooklyn, NY but I believe he ended up getting swindled ( I'll have to check with Bob).

No comments:

Post a Comment