Monday, March 20, 2017

His Mother's Plea was Denied after He was KIA

Margaret Mary Coleman O'Donnell and her son, Joseph Thomas O'Donnell in September 1944
 (3 months before the birth of Joe's first child, Sharon Anne O'Donnell who was born on January 1st 1945 while Joe was fighting in the Battle of the Bulge in Europe.  This photo was taken near Grandma and Grandpa O'Donnell's apartment in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn.  

Below is a letter dated October 25, 1951 my Grandma O’Donnell  received  twelve days after Joe was killed in action on Heartbreak Ridge in Korea on October 13, 1951.

Today, almost 70 years later, I remember another day, i.e., the day my sweet Uncle Joe arrived at our front door at 62 Interboro Parkway in Brooklyn to pick up his daughter, Sharon, who was at my house for the afternoon.  When my mother answered the doorbell and I saw it was my Uncle Joe, I went running to the door to implore my Uncle to allow Sharon to stay longer since we were having so much fun playing together.   I didn’t think he’d say yes since it was quite an inconvenience for him to leave and come back again later.  I was pleasantly surprised when his face lit up in an understanding smile and he agreed to my request.   I remember that moment very clearly as well as my feelings of love and gratitude that I felt towards him.   Kids have an innate sense of who a person is and I sensed my Uncle Joe’s goodness. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment