Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Greatest Love of All



65 years ago on October 13, 1951 a young man, not yet 30 years of age, sacrificed his life on a far away hill in South Korea.   First Lieutenant Joseph T. O’Donnell died defending the rights of the South Korean People.   This week, six and a half decades later, Joe’s youngest grandchild, Michael O’Rourke, celebrates his marriage to a beautiful young woman from Korea.   Her name is Yoonmi Lee and she seems to me to be a person worth defending and even, if need be, dying for.  I am now witnessing first hand a flesh and blood consequence of Joe’s ultimate sacrifice.   I am delighted to see this fruition of love between Michael and Yoonmi.   And, for the very first time in my life, I have finally gotten a sense of meaning, a sense of understanding and a sense of peace.   I realize now that Joe did not die in vain, he died in an act of the greatest love one man can show another.
“This is My commandment, that you love one another as I loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.  “ John 15: 12,13 



The Gold Star that is given to a mother when her child is killed in action is a symbol of this ultimate act of love.  This Saturday I plan to give Michael and Yoonmi the Gold Star that belonged to Joe’s mother with the hopes that it will continue to be a visible symbol to them of the supreme love that it represents.  May  this extreme, supreme love remain with them,  and bring them peace and happiness, shelter and protection  all of the days of their lives.  

1 comment:

  1. well said....you moved me to tears. Joe and Marie would be so proud of this happy couple.

    ReplyDelete