Sunday, August 21, 2016

Rita O'Donnell Fries and the Children of Kathleen (Coleman) & Maurice Fitzgerald



Going "up to the country", i.e., Friendsville, Pa. and St. Joseph's, Pa, has always been a big part of the life of the family of Margaret (Coleman) and TJ O'Donnell.   Margaret left her entire nuclear family ( there were 8 siblings in the Frank and Hannah Coleman clan) "up in the country" when she moved to NYC (primarily Brooklyn) to marry the love of her life, TJ O'Donnell.   Although TJ was also a farmer's son from St. Joseph's, Pa., his two brothers, John and Frank also left the farm to become members of NYPD's finest and they, too, moved to Brooklyn, NY where they married and raised their families.  Nonetheless, the Margaret and TJ left an enormous part of their heart and soul in the endless mountains of Pennsylvania, and they left that immense love of the green rolling hills in the hearts of their offspring.
After the fact, my mother's sister, Annie O'Donnell, told me that she went to the country every single year of her life except for one.  I remember feeling badly that she didn't tell me this before the year was out. I would have made certain that she made it that year too.  The fact that she made note of it made it clear to me that it was obviously very important to her.
My mother, Rita, loved going up to the country, too.  She eventually brought the love of her life, Charlie Fries, up to the country with her and he feel in love with this "garden spot of America".  I was born on March 9th, 1945 and I like to imagine that I was created right there in the beautiful fresh air of God's country.  After all, my mother did tell me once that June was her very favorite month to "go to the country."

No comments:

Post a Comment