Sunday, November 2, 2014

My Father Sat in Back of Me in Church Today

Was this just a coincidence?!
So, today is my father's 99th birthday.  It is also "All Souls Day".  We rarely ever go to the 9AM Sunday liturgy.  Almost always we attend the 4PM Mass on Saturday afternoon.  But we were lucky enough to be invited to dinner at our friends' - Joanne & John's - home in Greenville yesterday and we waited until today to go to Mass.
Now, ever since my father died on September 11, 2013, I noticed an elderly man at the 4PM Mass who had a striking, uncanny resemblance to my Dad.  I honestly never saw him in church prior to my Dad's death.  It has been a great comfort for me to look over my shoulder and get a glimpse of "my father"when I am at Mass.    I look for him every time we are at the 4 o'clock Mass.
Today when we walked into the hall (our church proper is undergoing renovations), the seats were just about full. Bob and I went to sit in chairs along the wall, when one of the ladies of our parish, said, "grab a chair and pull it up alongside of me".  So we did, and I sat down.  I was feeling a bit lonesome, thinking about my Dad on his birthday and remembering how many Masses we attended together.  I started to slip my arms out of my coat when I felt the person behind me reach up to help me.  I turned around to acknowledge the help and low and behold it was my "Dad".   He is always at the 4PM and he never sits directly behind us.  This morning he was at the 9AM Mass and is seated right behind us and he reaches up to help me.  I honestly cannot help but believe my Dad had something to do with this coincidence.  Even my practical, down-to-earth husband was astonished.
So, yes, I got your "hello" Dad and thanks for the wink.  I love you too and hope your birthday is going well wherever your Spirit resides.
I never ever saw this man again after this encounter!

No comments:

Post a Comment