Monday, October 6, 2014

Honesty and Truth

This blog entry is dedicated to my feisty red-headed cousin, Judy.  Her thoughts and insights are amazing.  Maybe this is egocentric on my part since she describes my feelings and thoughts about the official Catholic Church so precisely.
Her dialogue is honest, open and challenging.
These are some of my thoughts she has brought to the forefront:
 If there is a Supreme Being ( I say "if", not to offend anyone but because this belief is really a matter of faith) than there is also an ultimate truth. 
The word "supreme" by its very meaning is the "top" or the "best" and it is singular.  There is only one since if there were two than the fist one would no longer be supreme.  The second one would be the second best or the next best.  If there is one Supreme Being than it really doesn't matter what we name this being, it is still the one and only!
Our human minds search the truth about, but never really fully understand, this Supreme Being since we aren't that Being.  Also it doesn't really matter what we call this Being because, in essence, we are all referring to the same Being since there is only One.   Therefore it doesn't really make sense to fight or argue over what we name this Being.  It is and always will be Supreme.  I guess!  I say "I guess" because anyone who pretends to know for certain is, I believe, arrogant.
Discussing truthfully can offend a lot of people.  I know from personal experience that you can't ask certain questions or state your "truth" without causing an uproar.   This is too bad since finding the truth (as best we can) about this Supreme Being appears to be an ultimate goal of existence (at least to me and possibly Alfie). 
There is a new expression floating around a lot lately - "speaking truth to power".   Power doesn't like the truth because it may show them to be fraudulent.   Also truth can be painful.  I know that from personal experience also.  When I was an adolescent I asked my cousin, Susie, if I was pretty and she said, "your average" and this hurt since I really wanted to be gorgeous and a famous singer. In many ways it is a lot more comfortable to live in fantasy.  Oftentimes I  like to hear lies, "beautiful" lies.   Oftentimes I don't feel strong enough to hear the truth.  But when someone speaks the truth, they challenge us and they make us grow.   Hopefully the truth can be so lovingly given that we don't block it from getting into us.

No comments:

Post a Comment