Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19, 1940 - The simple facts



Seventy-two years ago today, on Saturday morning, October 19, 1940 at ten o’clock in the morning Rita Mary (Agnes) O’Donnell married Charles Anthony Fries at Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, Putnam Avenue near Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn, NY.
The Reception followed the ceremony and was held from Noon to 5:30PM in the Solarium at the Hotel Granada (phone # Sterling 3-2000) on Ashland Place and Lafayette Avenue in Brooklyn, NY.   Victor Molho was the Maitre D’hôtel at the time.
I have enclosed a copy of the menu choices but I do not know what the final choice was although I think it might have been the Chicken a la King on Toast ($1.25 per entree) or the Roast Vermont Turkey ($1.75 per person).   I wonder if my Dad happens to remember.  There are not too many people around today who would remember what was served that day.
I have also attached a copy of the seating map that was used in the Solarium that day. 
My mother was excited that there was a little bit of snow that particular Oct. 19th. She saw this as a sign of good things to come.  
My mother also wrote out her questions for the caterer on the back of a Hotel Granada envelope.
At the time of her marriage my mother lived at her family apartment at 1017 Putnam Avenue, Brooklyn, NY.  Her phone # was JE 3-5929. 
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment