Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 7th, 2011 - Dishonest Bob turns 64 or is it 65!!

 Connor helps Bob blow out the candles on his 64th Birthday 

His true date of birth is June 7th, 1947.  His mother told me and she was there.

Shortly after I met Bob in late December 1969, (actually I first met him briefly the month before but once again that is another story)  he asked me how old I was.   I told him the truth and said, " I'm 24, I'll be 25 in March."  Then I asked him the next logical question, "And, how old are you? " 
Knowing my age, and being fearful I would think he was too young for me (and I would have!), he added a year to his age. 
Several months later (in May 1970) as we were sitting around a table with a group of his friends at Rodney Dangerfield's Comedy Club in Manhattan, his friend, Margaret, said, "Bobby, your birthday is coming up soon and you'll be 23 years old, right?"    I started to correct Margaret while at the same time I looked over at Bob expecting that he would chime in with the accurate information.   I could tell immediately by the look of horror on Bob's face that Margaret had her facts correct.   What a way for me to find out the truth!
Here I was an older woman of 25 and Bob was still only a 22 years old kid.    But, by then, it was much too late.  Even though I was none too happy with this bold faced lie, I was already "in too deep".  He explained that when we met he liked me and he didn't want to loose me because of his age.  I listened to his rationale and decided to forgive him.   So now "Dishonest Bob" is stuck with an older woman.   See what happens when you lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment